Tuesday 25 February 2020

Volcano Patches - Popocatépetl

I've always found volcanoes fascinating, ever since I visited Taal Volcano in the Philippines on a school trip 25 years ago. It's like you can see the origins of our planet & the new creation of earth at the same time. I followed Taal's eruption in January 2020 closely and it sparked my dormant interest.

So I've decided to do a design project of volcano patches. Here's the first, one of my favourites- 'Popocatepetl' in Mexico, located just south of Mexico City, Mexico at 5,426 m, its name means 'Smoking Mountain' in Aztec. It is one of the most active volcanoes in Mexico & is the second-highest in North America. In 1994 it became active again after nearly 50 years of being dormant, and is now regularly active with steam plumes and erratic eruptions.

'El Popo' has been very active lately & there's some great webcams to watch on Volcano Discovery, they also have a great Volcanoes & Earthquakes app which keeps you updated on recent quakes & the status of volcanoes around the world. 

I've put my Popocatépetl design in my Redbubble Shop so you can find it on stickers, t-shirts, bags etc... eventually I plan to make some felt, embroidered patches & pennant flags of them too. 

I'd love to know what are your favourite volcanoes? 




No comments:

Post a Comment