Tuesday 12 May 2015

London Art Trip: Spring 2015


A few weeks ago I went to London for a quick art trip to see some exhibitions....
 https://d1inegp6v2yuxm.cloudfront.net/royal-academy/image/upload/c_limit,f_auto,w_1200/aej5nzm46a5kwvobxtd3.jpg
I arrived at the Royal Academy in the afternoon a bit before my pre-booked time so I went and saw the small free exhibition An Abiding Standard: The Prints of Stanley Anderson I liked his portraits the best.

 https://d1inegp6v2yuxm.cloudfront.net/royal-academy/image/upload/c_limit,f_auto,w_1200/z8elixmsiyodznh6vwql.jpg
and then it was upstairs to see the main event Richard Diebenkorn.

Book now: 'a joy from start to finish'

I then stayed at my sister's in South London, the next morning I went to the Dulwich Picture Gallery to see the Eric Ravilious show, it was fab, I went at opening time, 10am and it was already getting busy, thanks to lots of good write ups in papers and there 'what to do' guides!

It was beautifully quiet, his subjects, compositions, colours and brushwork are so full of life and detail. 

I loved the planes in winter, where the men are brushing off the snow off the wings, his use of negative space, using the white of the paper is so light, so clever.


Then I was going to see Marlene Dumas at Tate Modern before my afternoon train, but didn't have time so I went to see the small free Sheila Hicks exhibition at the Hayward Gallery, fiber art goodness.

I'm already planning my next trip... I want to see Carsten Holler's Decision at the Hayward to try out his slides, Sonia Delaunay & Agnes Martin at Tate Modern, Joseph Cornell at the RA and I'm also planning to pop over to Liverpool to see the Jackson Pollack at Tate Liverpool.

What art do you want to see?



No comments:

Post a Comment